Carrying out Effective Appraisals
“Wow, I’m so excited about my Performance Appraisal”……said no one ever. Why is this?
Performance Appraisals are an important tool for effective performance management of individuals within an organisation. But if they are mismanaged, then they can become a major de-motivator for the appraisee and very stressful for the appraiser.
This course is designed to develop the skills of appraisers to enable them and the appraisees to get the most out of Appraisal Interviews by recognising the need for a coaching and enabling management style.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the core principles and benefits of effective performance appraisals
- Plan for, and run structured Appraisal Interviews
- Set and write SMART performance objectives
- Review an appraisee’s performance and clearly summarise the agreed level of performance
- Give constructive and motivational feedback
- Course objectives
- Previous experience of Appraisals
What is a Performance Appraisal?
- Appraisals as a part of Performance Management
- Benefits of Performance Appraisals
Preparing for Appraisals:
- What does the Manager do to prepare?
- What does the Appraisee do to prepare?
Essential skills of carrying out an Appraisal:
- Active Listening
- Overcoming barriers
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Staying in control
- Setting SMART targets and Objectives
Dealing with performance shortfalls:
- Reviewing poor performance
- Defining and recording training and development needs
- Agreeing Action Plans
Managing performance between reviews:
- Managing performance objectives using a review system
Creating an Action Plan:
- Creating a successful Appraisal system in my organisation